Last week my hard disk on my old machine corrupted…
It happened half way through entering information on a particular MSAccess 2000 database although I am assured that the
failure of the database did not result in the failure of the disk.
The computer would no longer boot up and unfortunately we hadn't taken a ghost image of the disk or made a boot up disk.
In the end we managed to take the hard disk out of the machine - then using a small white pin on one of the disks rear ports
change it to a slave by placing a small white plug in two of the vertical pins at the rear of the scsi port we then put it
into a vacant port on another computer's scsi bus and got that computer to recognise the disk.
Once I managed to get the disk up and running I copied the file to the master disk and went about investigating whether I
could get the database back.
With regards to the database the problem I got immediately prior to disk failure was
-'AO Index' is not an index in this table- and this was still the case when I could see the file again.
I tried compact and repair
I tried copy and pasting / renaming the database
I also tried importing tables from the corrupted database by using a fresh database.
None of these things worked.
Note initially I was getting a Cyclical Redundancy Check Error trying to paste the database from the old slave hard disk to
the master disk however this seemed to disappear.
Eventually I set up an ODBC link and was able to export the data into an excel spreadsheet. Obviously all the forms / reports
have been lost however this was a small personal database on which had been conducted little design. I also have a similar
database into which I can place the information and it wil probably take me about a week to get the data back into a
All in all a good learning experience - our network databases are fully backed up and we would just go back to a historical
copy if something happened to one of our Access applications. I did a search on the forum and only found one other thread on
this - 'AO Index' is not an index in this table - so thought I'd post my experiences.
Would welcome any comments if people have a better understanding of the causes / solutions to this problem.